This morning at 6:00 am, I walked out of the house with my
purse, laptop bag, and rolling suitcase. I rumbled and rolled down the driveway
& out into the street, where the neighbours poked their heads out to ask
where I was going. I told them; they wished me well; I kept going, feeling very
conspicious. I waited at the corner for the city public transportation van to
pick me up. One of these vans was parked a little further up the street. The
driver evidently noticed me standing at the corner for few mintues, so he backed all the way up the
street to where I was & picked me up!
Welome to my blog! This is a site where I can keep family & friends updated with what is going on in my life. I'm glad to have you join me.
Sunday, April 28, 2013
The Wheels on the Bus...
(April 24, 2013)
I rode the van to a major intersection in town, where I
dismounted & waited for the bus. The bus here is a little different than
the Greyhound. You don’t need to buy tickets in advance, wait at a bus stop, or
be anywhere at a certain time. You just stand along the bus route and flag one
down as it comes along. I flagged one down and climbed aboard as the bus
driver’s assistant grabbed my suitcase & swung it into the bus next to the
driver. We pulled away from the curb as I made my way down the aisle &
found a seat. Once we left town, after picking up others along the way, the
ticket man came through the bus, collecting the fare from all the new
customers. I paid him and asked for help figuring out where to get off.
See, my friend had explained that some buses go on a toll
road and go past a certain point (“Krapyak”) which is close to the airport. If
my bus goes there, I should get off there & catch a taxi. If my bus doesn’t
go there, I should get off at another place & catch a taxi. I asked the
ticket guy about this “Krapyak” and he said we would not go there. OK, so I
told him I wanted to get off at the other place, but I’d never been there, so
would he please tell me when we were close? He assured me he would.
We had ridden a fair distance when I felt a tap on my
shoulder. It was the ticket man. He wanted to let me know that there was a bus
behind us that would go to “Krapyak.” If I wanted to go there, I could get off
this bus & get on that one. I hesitated. “Come on,” he urged a minute
later, as the bus pulled over. So I got off the bus, and my suitcase did too.
My bus roared away, and I stood there at the side of the road, not sure what to
do next. The next bus pulled up and I called out to the driver where I wanted
to go. His assistant leaped out, grabbed my suitcase, and I followed it into
the bus.
Again, I explained my situation to the ticket man: that I
wanted to go to “Krapyak” and then take a taxi to the airport, and I asked him
for his help in knowing when to get off. Oh yeah, no problem. We rode a little
further, and then ticket man told me we had reached “Krapyak.” The bus driver
was honking his horn excessively, and then I realized he was trying to catch
the attention of a taxi two cars in front of us! We were still driving at this
point, although I was now standing next to the driver. We stopped at a red
light and the assistant leaped from the bus, ran past the car in front of us
& began pounding on the trunk of the taxi. The light turned green; the taxi
and the bus pulled over. The bus assistant dragged my suitcase off the bus
& jammed in backseat of the taxi, then held the door for me as I climbed in
after it.
In conclusion, I made it safely to the airport, and in very
good time, thanks to the diligent attention of the bus assistants who could
tell this foreign girl could use a little extra help. J
Labels:
bus,
helpful people,
taxi,
travel
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment