In the past year, I have learned a lot of language; for example, today I rejoiced that I could understand the whole sermon in church, and I took notes to prove it to myself! I have also learned how to live life here: how to navigate traffic on my little motorbike, how to eat rice with my fingers, when to drink the tea I am offered, how to sit & how not to sit in public, how to ride the bus to a neighbouring town and how to ask for help to know when to get off. I've learned a little about what is important here: like health, bathing multiple times a day, and making your family proud.
I have made good friends here, too. Some of those friends have moved on to other islands to serve the Lord there; others are making plans to do so while they serve right here. Some are living, studying, working, and raising their families right here as they shine a bright light to those around them. And there are others who I pray will one day have a bright light to shine.
I've learned things about myself here, too: that I like desk work a lot more than I thought I did, for example, and that my heart/mind/emotions are a lot more fickle than I would have liked to think.
Over all, this year has been good. The transition to life here has been a lot easier than I expected, and I rejoice in that. God has been faithful and has blessed me abundantly, and I rejoice in that!
"Bersyukurlah kepada TUHAN, sebab Ia baik! Untuk selama-lamanya kasih setia-Nya."
"Give thanks to the LORD, for He is good; His love endures forever."
No comments:
Post a Comment