Saturday, March 29, 2014

“Large Bunch of Bananas...Going Once, Going Twice...”

It is fruit season here: bananas, papayas, mangostein, and rambutan are all ripe. It is also renovation season at my church: they have big plans to expand and dress up the building, with arches, stained glass windows, the whole works.

These two seasons are untited in a novel way – each week at the close of the Sunday service, there is a fruit auction. Various people donate papayas, bunches of bananas, and boxes of fruit, which are then auctioned off to the highest bidder. The proceeds from the auction go into the building fund.

I mentioned that people donate fruit to the auction, and that is mostly what I’ve seen, but in recent weeks I’ve also seen a couple cakes, fruit salads, and live chickens being auctioned off!


I have yet to take an active role in one of these auctions, but I enjoy watching the event. :)

No comments: