Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Proof I Am Meant to Live Here ;)

Ever since I moved across the world, I've been noticing little things that make me laugh and say, "Hey look, I was born to live here!" They're all pretty silly, but all true. Hope you enjoy the list!

1. I like sitting on the floor. 
This is very common -- and not just for young people! My neighbourhood had a monthly meeting for all the married women to attend (some of whom where quite elderly, of course), and they always sat on these thin mats on the floor. 


2. I`m all about flip-flops. Or bare feet.
Many people wear dressy shoes or sandals for going to church or into town, but around the neighbourhood, it's all about flip-flops. Or bare feet.


3. I'm not scared of mice/rats. 
Or geckos. Or ants. 


4. Fresh tropical fruit!
Pineapples, bananas, papayas, watermelon, rambutan, durian, mangostein, coconuts, and other tropical delights grow all over the place. Amazing.


5. I like fish.
Especially when grilled over an open fire. Yummy! Oh yeah, and I like rice, too.


6. I naturally say 'Sorry.' And 'Thank you.' 
When I first arrived, a new friend gave me some good advice: "If you want to learn the language quickly and make friends, there are three things to do -- say "sorry" a lot, smile a lot, and say "thank you" a lot." And people here really do and value those things!


7. I'm a smiler.
See above explanation.


8. I naturally duck when walking between two people who are talking.
Usually people here will take a more round-about route to avoid walking between others. But if they must, they excuse themselves and bow down as they cut through. Courtesy is essential.


9. I am non-confrontational.
People here generally don't like to address a problem directly. They want to avoid shaming themselves, others, their families...everyone. Sometimes I feel like I fit right in as we politely say what we think others want to hear and avoid bringing up controversial topics...other times even I, non-confrontational as I am, want to just speak up bluntly.


10. White sand beaches!
Anywhere with this much tropical beach-front is guaranteed to have some pretty amazing turquoise water, multi-coloured fish, elaborate coral reefs, and pristine beaches. What's not to love about that?


1 comment:

mom said...

love this Jules!