Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Two Year Indo-versary!

It's two years ago yesterday that I made this country my new home. To celebrate, I'd like to share with you a few of the ways I've changed since coming here.

1. I used to think umbrellas were only for the rain. Now I know they make a great sunshade -- and I am not ashamed to use them!



2. I used to use a teaspoon to eat soup or cereal. Now I eat everything with a tablespoon. Including young coconut meat. 


3. For most of my life I probably could have been voted "least likely to venture across the world and settle down on a tropical island"...


4. ...And also "least likely to drive a motorbike." And yet here I am.


5. I used to eat only pizza and carrot sticks with my fingers; even drumsticks would be carefully cut with knife & fork. Now it's no big deal to eat a whole fish and a plate of rice using just my fingers.


6. I never wanted to live anywhere hot.



7. I no longer excuse myself when I sneeze or burp...but I am careful about which hand I use (right) and how I position my feet (politely).



8. I now shower (in a manner of speaking) twice a day, just like everyone around me.



9. I discovered I enjoy 'desk work' more than I thought, especially on days when even the thought of socializing makes me tired.



10. I, the girl who has a problem with jiggly-textured foods, has now eaten papeda (made from sago flour and water, which, in this case, had the texture of congealed gravy). I felt quite proud of this accomplishment, thank you.



"Menyusuaikan diri" is what we call this process of adapting to the local place, people, and culture, and it never ceases to be a challenge. It's encouraging, though, to look back at some of the ways I've changed, adapted, and "menyusuikan-ed" over the past two years -- in silly, superficial ways as well as in deeper, more significant ways. It's also exciting to think about what's ahead and how God will continue to change me and prepare me for what He has in store.

Happy Indo-versary to me!

1 comment:

Julie Arnold said...

P.S. I'd like to add a few more changes:
1. Ironing used to be a very rare activity for me. Now I even iron my T-shirts and denim shorts.
2. Even though I still mostly eat western breakfasts, rice for breakfast no longer strikes me as strange.
3. I didn't used to own an umbrella. Now I carry one with me virtually everywhere I go.
4. I now realize I have a very, very low tolerance for spicy food (but am gradually working on building it up). This will come as a surprise to my mom. :)
5. I used to not play volleyball. Now I enjoy it -- if playing with friends. Friends who are girls. :)