
We have just completed Week One of our Jungle Camp house-building time: one more week to go! My roommates and I have been working hard all week to build what will be our home for four weeks.
We started on Monday, by digging post holes and setting up the main supports for our home. We also started work on the loft, which will sleep one roommate, Melissa, and me. On Tuesday, we finished the loft, taping sturdy poles across our framework poles. Don't worry; it's perfectly sturdy--we had six of us up there on Wednesday
when we put our plastic roof up! :) On Thursday and Friday we did a lot of work on the stove, which is made out of half a 45 gallon drum, a smaller drum (13 gallons?), and two metal buckets to serve as a water heater and an oven. This contraption is set in a wooden frame packed with dirt, and then is all covered over with clay. We also dug a shower pit and filled it with rocks for drainage purposes. We built a kitchen counter and dug three holes underneath it to house three metal pails, which will be our ground-cooled refrigerators. On Saturday we worked more on the stove, my roommate Amanda set up her bed (she will sleep under the loft), Melissa dug us a slop pit (to dispose of our greywater), and we got our very first window (or should I call it a wall?) hung!Sunday provided a much-needed day of rest.
I am astounded as how quickly our house is coming along and at how well it's coming together.
None of us girls really know how to build a house, and yet it's working! Who knew we were so skilled?!? :) Seriously, it's going really well. I'm learning a lot about sawing and notching wood, working with clay, and how to tie wood securely. Perhaps more than that, I'm learning the importance of encouragement, teamwork, and valuing people.At camp, we've talked about working as a team, completing the task, and caring for the individual. These three values are huge in Jungle Camp building! I thank God that my roommates and I are working so well together,
getting along so well, and having fun even though the work is hard and the hours are long. Please pray that we would continue in love and unity, and that the entire Jungle Camp experience would be a time when we are in tune with God and consciously leaning on Him. Thank you!
No comments:
Post a Comment