Sunday, June 11, 2006

What am I doing in Durham?

I'm here in Durham, ON, as a student at the New Tribes Mission of Canada Missions Institute. Here I am taking classes in order to prepare for a life of missionary service in remote and isolated settings.

I am nearly finished the first year of training. I studied such things as animism (traditional tribal religions), cross-cultural communication, teamwork, family relationships, and how to teach the Bible chronologically. It's been a really good year for me, and I've learned a lot, both in and out of the classroom.

I have one more year of training with New Tribes, and then I plan to move forward in the process of going to a needy tribal area. The ultimate goal, of course, is to learn the language and culture of the people well enough to teach them the truth of God's word and see them come to faith in Him, and then help the believers grow into a strong and healthy church.

I do not yet know which country I'll be working in one day, or with which people group. Feel free to pray with me that God would lead and direct me, in His time.

No comments: