Thursday, July 26, 2012

Silent Night...where?

Having just come from my rural home, where the most noise I would hear at night is a thunderstorm, this city at night is loud!

There are the usual traffic sounds and horns honking. There is also the call to prayer, ringing out over the city. Then there is the clanging and yelling. A friend explained that this the sound of neighbourhood security guards making their presence known by banging on gates and shouting, so everyone will know they are doing thier job.

Furthermore, this is the month of the daytime fast, which means night is a time of visiting, eating, and shooting off fireworks. There is also a noisy time in the wee hours when neighbours wake each other up to eat a meal before the daily fast begins.

All in all, I found my first night here to be quite different from what I'm used to.  :)

1 comment:

mom said...

I was wondering how you'd be adjusting to city life.