Sunday, December 02, 2012

Life Becoming Normal

November 28th marked the conclusion of my fourth month here...that means I've now been here for over 1/3 of a year! As the 28th of each month rolls around, I have been taking a few minutes to record some thoughts about how I have adjusted in the past month. Specifically, I've been chronicling a list of things which were strange at first, but with which I have now become comfortable. Below is a sampling of some of my adjustments over the last four months.

After one month, I felt comfortable with...
...eating in someone else's home
...taking public transportation downtown
...riding (as passenger) on a motorbike

After two months, I felt comfortable with...
...mailing letters at the post office
...eating out (ordering & paying)
...attending local church
...seeing geckos in the house

After three months, I felt comfortable with...
...language school
...driving motorbike in my neighbourhood!! (this is a big deal!)
...receiving bread & drinking water deliveries
...and I am consistently sleeping through the early morning call to prayer

After four months, I feel comfortable with...
...buying fruit from fruit stands (although I am not yet a bargainer!)
...buying motorbike gas at side-of-the road stands, where the gas comes in glass bottles
...navigating the back roads to language school
...my new roommate (and my old one too, of course!)

Now you have seen a sampling of some of the things I have adapted to doing and experiencing in a new language & a new culture. It's encouraging to look back from time to time and recognize the progress that's being made! :)

1 comment:

mom said...

almost time for another one!