This factory was set up in the back yard of the owner's home. Several women were painting wax designs on the cloth; one man was using rubber stamps to apply wax; two other men were dyeing and rinsing cloth.
We got to see what everyone was doing, take pictures, and ask questions, and then we had the opportunity to try our hands at batik. One of the women got me set up with a square of cloth which had a design sketched on it in pencil. She showed me how to scoop just a little molten wax up in the "pen" and then tip it slightly to control the wax flow out of the "pen." It looked so easy when she did it, but it just looked messy when I tried it! I had drops dripping everywhere, and my hand was trembling, so my lines were crooked. I would definitely need a lot of practice before I could make my living drawing with wax! :)
Once my design was complete, I got to paint colours of dye onto my cloth, using a small stick as a paintbrush. We didn't have time to melt off the wax and complete the process, but I got to take home my attempt at batik.
It was a fun experience. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment