Sunday, May 05, 2013

Flower Salsa, Anyone?


I knew that some flowers are edible: such as violets and roses, for example. I had never heard of making salsa out of flowers.

However, the day we chopped down bamboo shoots in the jungle, we stumbled across a flowering Red Torch Ginger plant. My friend remembered that my guest home hostess really likes eating these flowers, so we gathered several of them up to take home. The ladies cut off the pretty flowery parts, leaving just the inner "meaty" core.
 
The flower salsa is in the left foreground.
On the right is purple rice topped wtih palm hearts & chicken
cooked in a flavourful coconut-milk sauce. Yum!
Oh yes, and the fruit is a slice of papaya.
When I delivered these to the lady at the guest home, she was delighted. The next day, we enjoyed a mild salsa-type condiment made from the flowers.


1 comment:

Mom said...

just caught up on your blog entries, Jules. Thanks for sharing these. makes for an interesting window into your world.
love you -