Sunday, June 16, 2013

Off to Island #2: The City

Flying in!
Let me begin by saying, this island is beautiful! People kept telling me that before I went, and it turns out they were right! On this island,  I divided my days between a few locations: the city, the village, the town, and the beach. :)

First, the city:

Three-storey mall.
I spent my first few days staying at a Guest House & getting to know some other members of my organization. It was nice to meet them as well as hear their stories, experiences, and perspectives. I also got to sit in on a Bible teaching/discipleship class. There are a two couples in a discipleship course, and twice a week the two husbands, along with their two instructors, teach Bible lessons to a pastor and his wife at a local church. It was cool to tag along & see them in action. The day I went, they were teaching about Noah & the flood. While retelling the Biblical account, they also emphasized themes such as: God's patience in waiting so long to flood the earth, Noah's faith, judgement on sin, the choice to believe God (& so be saved) or not (& so not be saved), the one & only door (one way of salvation), and the thoroughness of both salvation (everyone in the ark was saved) and of judgement (everyone outside the ark died). It was very interesting. AND...it was all done in the national language and I could understand it!!  :)



I also got to reconnect with several old friends while I was at the guesthouse, and that was really great. I enjoyed catching up on their news and hearing about what God is doing in their lives. I was glad I had the chance to go! 

No comments: