"What foods from home did you miss while you were over there?" is a question I am asked fairly frequently. The short answer is that I wasn't really pining for anything. I was able to get many familiar foods there, including ice cream, cheese, and Oreos. People sent me vanilla, butterscotch chips, peanut butter chips, and nuts in a care package, which were much appreciated.
Having said that, since I've been back, I've been discovering quite a few foods that I didn't realize I had missed, but have been enjoying since I've been back. Below, in no particular order, is a list of a few such foods:
- pickles, especially dill pickles
- cornbread
- Doritos
- salt & vinegar chips and dill pickle chips ('sour' is not a popular flavour there)
- mint-flavoured things (especially ice cream & hot chocolate)
- maple syrup
- deli-style ham
- various crackers, MSG-free
- pan-fried fish fillets
- Cheezies
- brown rice (I eat a lot of rice there, but always white)
- waffles
It's been a pleasant surprise to taste these flavours again, especially the ones that not even crossed my mind in the last year (like sour chips, for example).
I expect that when I return to the other side of the world, I will meet again with unexpected familiar flavours. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment