After travelling half-way across the world faster than the speed of time, I arrived at my destination on January 4. I spent the first several days staying with some friends while I did some furniture shopping to set up my new room. During those days, I also had opportunities to meet new people, try new foods, paint my new room, attend a wedding, go visiting with a new friend, experience two vehicle breakdowns (motorbike & SUV), and cuddle a litter each of puppies and kittens.
Last Friday I moved into my new house, on a Bible School campus. I am sharing a house with two single staff ladies, one in her 50s and one in her late 30s. Neither of them speak English. I have my room pretty well all set up now, although I'd still like to get a desk & chair, and I have accumulated some kitchen stuff, although it's not all put away in its proper place yet. I've only been in the house less than a week, so am still trying to find my place in the home routine as well as on campus. Overall, though, I am excited to be here.
The School staff have been incredibly friendly and helpful. They have taken me shopping, invited me over for meals, and helped with my room-painting. I feel very cared-for and very privileged to be here.
I am also excited about the potential for speedy language progress, because I am very immersed in the language and culture here. Today I had a couple hours of orientation & discussion with some of the leadership, and English was used only a few times to explain things I hadn't quite caught before. I was thinking about how little English I've used in the last few days, and I realized that, to my memory, I didn't speak or hear any English at all yesterday! I spent a good part of the day shopping with some national friends (from this country), and when I came home, I was with my room-mates.
Right now I feel like my language is pretty terrible because I am always asking people to repeat themselves or explain something, and I stumble when I try to speak. However, maybe I just feel this way because I'm around native speakers rather than other blundering learners. :)
I'm a little tired from jet lag & from concentrating so hard on understanding the language, but I am excited to be here, encouraged by how things are going so far, and looking forward to what God has for me here.
1 comment:
I just re-discovered your blog, Julie. Enlgish-free days like the one you describe will definitely help you learn and comprehend quicker.
Post a Comment