Sunday, January 19, 2014

The last two weeks have been quite a whirlwind. I have met new friends and many new acquaintances. I have eaten out several times and also been invited to the homes of staff members here at the Bible School. A new friend invited me to spend an evening going house to house visiting her extended family and friends, as part of the customary New Years celebration.
I have gone shopping several times, not only for food and sandals, but I also bought a bed-frame, mattress, wardrobe, two-burner counter-top stove, fridge, and washing machine – all first-time purchases for me. I successfully hooked my new stove up to its LPG tank. In an entirely separate incident, I received an electrical shock from dusting an outlet which had a broken-off prong stuck in it. Speaking of electricity, I’ve also experienced at least 7 power outages. Most last only a couple hours, but a couple have been half a day each. I’ve almost had more candlelit dinners in the past two weeks than in the rest of my life put together… J

I have begun learning to use the public transportation available here, and have taken a motorbike taxi four times on my own. I have yet to take the ‘mikro’ (sort of like a city bus in function, although more like a van in appearance) by myself, but rode that with a friend one day, making several transfers. I happened to be along on two breakdowns – not of public-transportation vehicles, just those owned by friends -- one suffered by a motorbike and the other by a car. Oh, I also rode 'side-saddle' on a motorbike for the first time. 

I have attended two different churches and two weddings. One of the weddings was here on campus, so I got to help with a bit of decorating and then help wash all the dishes the next day. That involvement, as well as celebrating together, has helped me feel more a part of the campus community here. I also attended a viewing/family visitation for a woman who had just passed away.

I had a meeting with some of  the mission leadership here a few days ago and have been able to begin making a plan for language study. I am encouraged by how many people there are on campus who are friendly and willing to help me learn. I also look forward to getting connected with some from the larger off-campus community as well.

Thank you so much for your prayers as I continue to adjust and fit in to my new surroundings. 

No comments: