Sunday, January 28, 2018

Where I Belong

After a three week absence from the village to celebrate Christmas with my family, I was on my way back in. The familiar panorama of wide red roads, lush jungle greenery, and foreboding grey clouds spread out all around as I bounced along on the back of my co-worker’s motorbike.

I grinned broadly as we entered the village, responding to the waves, shouts, and smiles from people who were happy to see me coming home. My luggage and I were dropped off at my house, and before I made it on to the deck a stream of children dashed up, eager to welcome me. A couple of women came over right away too, to express their gladness that I was back.

And through it all, I was rejoicing in a feeling of settledness, a feeling of assurance that this is my place; these are my people; this is where I belong.

At first I felt a little out-of-practice at using the local language, but that didn’t last long, and as I re-adjusted, I was delighted to find that it seemed to be coming easier than when I left! I felt more competent at understanding, as well as freer to (try to) express myself. Needless to say, that discovery helped contribute to my feeling of belonging.

In the two weeks since I’ve returned, this sense of assurance and confidence has stayed with me (for the most part!), and I am so thankful for this gift from God. I love that He has given me a desire to be part of this work, in this place, at this time, and I trust that He will continue to accomplish His work in and through me. 

2 comments:

Lorraine M said...

Love this Julie! I can relate to the feeling, although it's hard for others to understand at times, it's so amazing to feel settled and at home in a place so far from your original home.

Julie Arnold said...

Yes! And I'm so thankful for that feeling. :)