Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Papua New Guinea

Initial impressions of Port Moresby, PNG: hot. smells like BO. toilet paper available in washroom (bonus!). English-speaking. Credit cards are NOT acceptable payment for Visa on Arrival. colourful dresses. non-potable water. friendly smiles from ladies.

Initial impressions of Goroka, PNG: less hot. when passengers leave plane, they wait off to the side. terminal is locked up. baggage is unloaded onto a long table for passengers to claim. a crowd of dark faces (mostly children) pressed against gate, peering in. gate unlocked to allow passengers to leave. I was easily identified by my ride by virtue of being the only white female on the plane.

Initial impressions of mission base: much information to learn. many stories to hear. much of interest to see.

I might not be updating this much over the next while, but at least you all know I made it safely to my PNG destination & am anticipating another time of exploration & adventure! :)

No comments: