Sunday, June 16, 2013

The School

English Class
While in the city, I got to tag along with a friend & former roommate of mine, who is now teaching English & coaching soccer at a Christian school on the outskirts of the city. This day, we taught two grade 2 classes and a grade 4 class.

Tasting gado-gado for the first time...and also sweet soy sauce!
Some of the students live nearby with their parents, but others come out from villages to board at the school. Another friend of mine does a lot of work with the 'transition kids'--those who are in the process of adjusting between village life & city life. The day I was there, he took them out to a little restaurant & introduced them to one of the common dishes here, so they'll know what it is, whether they like it, and how to order it next time. He also told them what the ashtray on the table was for and the polite way to pick their teeth in public. He showed them how to read the menu and on our way home we talked about whey we have to stop at a red light.

There are so many things that we take for granted & don't realize that not everyone automatically knows! ...as I realize from time to time here, when I find myself the one who has no idea what any of the items of the menu are, whether I'm allowed to turn left on a red light (we drive on the left here), and how in the world to use water as a substitute for toilet paper.  :)

No comments: